Let It Snow! But first... Some Winter Safety Tips
Is winter really just right around the corner? You may not be ready for the snow, but ready or not....it's gonna come. Preparing your home and property for cold weather conditions and responding to them effectively can reduce some of the effects caused by winter's weather challenges. I've tried to list some winter safety tips that can be effective in dealing with the effects of severe winter weather:
- Have your snow removal equipment serviced and ready for action.
- Have rock salt on hand to melt ice on walkways.
- Make sure your walls and attic are properly insulated.
- Caulk and weatherstrip doors and windows.
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Have an ample supply of wood if you have a fireplace.
- Have safe portable space heaters available.
- Wrap water pipes in insulation or layers of old newspapers to keep from freezing.
- Let faucets drip a little to avoid freezing.
- Know how to shut off water valves.
- In case the power goes out, have disaster supplies on hand such as a flashlight & battery-operated radio (and extra batteries), a first aid kit and extra blankets & sleeping bags.
- Develop an emergency communication plan in case family members are separated from one another during a winter storm.
- Teach children how and when to call 9-1-1, police, or fire department, and which radio station to tune to for emergency information.
Winterizing Your Vehicle
Preparing your vehicle for the winter season is one of the most important keys to safe winter driving. Have a mechanic check the following items on your car before the temperatures drop.
Ignition system Thermostat
Lights Flashing hazard lights
Exhaust system Heater
Oil level Tires/tread
Wipers and windshield washer fluid
Also, be sure to keep a windshield scraper and small broom for ice and snow removal, and maintain at least a half tank of gas at all times during the winter season.
EXIT Realty Capital Area
3759 Peters Mountain Road
Halifax, PA 17032
Office: 717-896-3948 Cell: 717-599-1370